Chairman of the Board: Shinichiro Yamashita Established as a Legal Entity in 1956, JAWS has a more than 60 year history of serving as a central member of the animal welfare community in Japan and of working with numerous domestic and foreign organizations.
- Public education on animal welfare and activities for the prevention of cruelty
- Subsidizing spay/neuter programs in order to prevent unwanted pets
- Rehoming of abandoned and surrendered animals
- Animal rescue during disasters
- Sponsoring workshops, seminars, and symposium as well as an annual competition for school children writing about their animal experiences
- Public education concerning the Animal Welfare Law and cooperating with the government in reviewing the law
- Operating a call center for animal issues and gathering animal related information both domestically and internationally
Click here(Act on Welfare and Management of Animals(Act No. 105 of October 1, 1973)（Provisional translation）：Ministry of the Environment )
6 branches throughout Japan
Much of the activities of the organization are conducted by volunteers centered around the branch offices.
Corporate Members(with right to vote) a/f ￥50,000
Lifetime Members(with right to vote) ￥140,000
Supportive Members(with right to vote) ￥ 7,000
Assistant Members ￥3,000
Youth Members ￥1,000
JAWS receives no government subsidy and is entirely dependent on Membership fees and donations from the public.
Please support our activities. Our office and bank data are listed below.
Zip code 141-0022
FREUNDE 2F, 2-6-5 Higashigotanda, Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo, Japan
Please push “2” for the consultation about animals, and “3” for other inquiries.
We have limited number of staff who can speak English, your kind understanding is appreciated.
- Mizuho Bank
- Roppongi Branch -branch#053 7-15-7 Roppongi, Minatoku,Tokyo
- Ordinary account #2814596
- Japan Animal Welfare Society
- Swift code:MHBKJPJT
Click here(Annual Report for 2018)
1.About our membership
As of the end of March,2018, the numbers of the membership by category.
|Corporate Members(with right to vote)
|Lifetime Members(with right to vote)
|Supportive Members(with right to vote)
Your application for the membership is always welcome. Contact our office at 03-6455-7733.
- We subsidized more than 4,400 operations of “Spaying & Neutering” in fiscal year (FY)2018.
- Telephone Counseling for concerned owners.
We received many consultations about possible adoptions, cruelty , neglect, diseases, etc.
- Events to mark “Be Kind to Animals“ were held on Sep.15 & 22, 2018, in Ueno.
- The 59th Annual Protection Essay Contest was held and the number of the applications was 2,641.
- We received ● consultation calls on animal abuse. Among them,animal hoarding cases and video clips on animal abuse have increased.
- Headquarters including CC Kuro and 6 branches matched 573 dogs & cats with new owners in FY 2018.
- To promote AIPO chips (Animal ID Promotion Organization) , We cooperated with related organizations.
- We published JAWS Report No.83, 84, animal welfare related special reports in 2018.
- To raise funds for our activities, we held Charity BINGO Party, sold picture books and cards designed by HIH Princess Hitachi and JAWS’s original goods such as T-shirts, mugs, and calendars etc.
The Japan Animal Welfare Society Ltd (JAWS UK) was created in1956 to raise public awareness and funding to ensure pioneering animal welfare activities in Japan.JAWS UK has been and will be supporting JAWS JAPAN activities as a major patron.
Registered Charity No: 244534 (England & Wales).
Registratered Company No: 855624.
JAWS UK website